Author Topic: Reality Shows: Bizarre Foods, Billy the Exterminator, and Swamp People  (Read 1023 times)

Offline gitano1

• Administrator
  • Forum VIP.
Three “reality” shows caught and held my interest. The first was Bizarre Foods with host  Andrew Zimmern. Andrew eats just about anything from tarantulas to cheese crawling with fly maggots. He has a remarkably charismatic personality which makes his romps through much of the world in search of strange foods    quite enjoyable to watch. He is also quite honest about things he either will not eat or drink or things which he will, but which he freely admits taste horrid.
Two episodes in particular sealed his credibility with me. First, he took some training from a survival expert and then had himself put onto an uninhabited island where he was forced to survive on shelter and food that he created or caught himself for a period of forty-eight hours. I assessed the situation, and decided that I could easily last that period of time without eating anything. Andrew, on the other hand, though not fully sated, ate quite a few things and did extremely well.
The second episode involved a holiday party at his home where he invited some of his audience to participate in eating some of his more exotic foods, spiders, blood, etc. What I found particularly interesting about this episode was that, although I had no problem watching Andrew eat some of these things, watching ordinary civilians do so was plain disgusting.

The second show was Billy the Exterminator. This show is set in rural Louisiana. Billy and his family, mother, father, and brother run a exterminator business. Billy will take on almost any job from removing alligators from ponds to his most frequent calls, getting rid of wasps, bees or cockroaches. He also catches and releases skunks and other rodents. Some of the conditions he has to deal with are beyond disgusting, but this is the rural, near-tropical south, and insects abound.
Billy has a style of dress that seems totally inappropriate to his job. He has a big personality and his family is an amusing combination. His wife Mary is just exactly what you would expect her to be.
The show is surprisingly addictive. I was really disappointed when I came to the end of the available episodes. Coincidentally, just after finishing the series I had to eliminate a wasp nest and a hornet’s from the soffits of my house in order to repaint. I didn’t have Billy’s special organic mixture and was unable to find it. Good old Raid had to do the job, but I still had the same satisfying experience of watching the little monsters drop form the nests.

The last show was Swamp People. This show also takes place in rural Louisiana. In this case the events covered have to do with the annual gator hunt which lasts for 30 days. This is an old business that has been done for 300 years. The families that are covered in the show are old timers in the business which provides a major portion of their annual income. Alligator populations do need to be kept under control. Gators are very prolific and potentially dangerous. An annual culling of the population is a necessity.
The hunters set baited hooks in areas that are known to have gators. When a gator is caught they pull the gator close to their boat and attempt to dispatch it with a single .22 caliber round to the back of the head. This sounds easy. It isn’t. It is both difficult and dangerous. By the end of the ten episodes you have a real respect for the men who do this, and an understanding of why some are successful and others fail.
Gitano
"Race has now replaced rule of law officially. In one speech our president has reversed 60 years of healing the racial divide and destroyed the dream of Dr. King. The result will be an exact reversal of the conditions existing before The Civil Rights Act. And the hardest hit will be the children in whose name the left always claims to act. Well done Obama". - Pendark