Author Topic: Moving a Program from Desktop to Laptop  (Read 1919 times)

Offline jimfido62

• FORUM VIP
  • Forum VIP.
Moving a Program from Desktop to Laptop
« on: September 25, 2011, 07:41:49 AM »
I am moving files from my desktop to the laptop I just fixed and I was wondering if it is possible to move a program.  I have office 2003 on my desktop but I cant find the program disc to reload it.  It is probably packed in a box in my basement from the last move.  Both computers are using XP.

Offline gitano1

• Administrator
  • Forum VIP.
Re: Moving a Program from Desktop to Laptop
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2011, 08:39:24 AM »
In windows, programs invest themselves into the registries. They cannot be moved from one computer to another the way a file can be. You will need the installation disks used to install the program originally. The only manner I have found to move programs is to use a program like True Image which clones the contents of one hard drive onto another. Microsoft Office definitely requires the install disk as well as activation by Microsoft after installation.
Gitano
"Race has now replaced rule of law officially. In one speech our president has reversed 60 years of healing the racial divide and destroyed the dream of Dr. King. The result will be an exact reversal of the conditions existing before The Civil Rights Act. And the hardest hit will be the children in whose name the left always claims to act. Well done Obama". - Pendark

Offline jimfido62

• FORUM VIP
  • Forum VIP.
Re: Moving a Program from Desktop to Laptop
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2011, 11:57:29 AM »
Thanks Gitano.  I will look for the disc.