Author Topic: Windows 8 has "Time Machine" sort of.  (Read 1674 times)

Offline gitano1

• Administrator
  • Forum VIP.
Windows 8 has "Time Machine" sort of.
« on: May 08, 2013, 03:30:02 PM »
For those of you with Win 8 this may be a revelation to you. I have had Time Machine on my Macs for several years. It doesn't sound as though Win 8's version is quite up to Time Machine, but anything is better than the old, native back-up system. Check this out and see if it works for you. Let us know.
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/did-you-know-windows-8-has-a-built-in-time-machine-backup/
Gitano
"Race has now replaced rule of law officially. In one speech our president has reversed 60 years of healing the racial divide and destroyed the dream of Dr. King. The result will be an exact reversal of the conditions existing before The Civil Rights Act. And the hardest hit will be the children in whose name the left always claims to act. Well done Obama". - Pendark

Offline Thumb

• Global Moderator
  • Forum VIP.
    • Redfoots.com
Re: Windows 8 has "Time Machine" sort of.
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2013, 07:40:32 PM »
Well, I turned mine on so we'll see how it works but hopefully I'll never have to see if it works!  ;D
My brain is full. Can I go home now

Offline gitano1

• Administrator
  • Forum VIP.
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 05:27:02 AM »
With Time Machine on the Mac I have been able to go back into the earlier backups and find documents and even applications that were deleted and return them to the current configuration. It would be interesting to find out if Windows has that capability.
Gitano
"Race has now replaced rule of law officially. In one speech our president has reversed 60 years of healing the racial divide and destroyed the dream of Dr. King. The result will be an exact reversal of the conditions existing before The Civil Rights Act. And the hardest hit will be the children in whose name the left always claims to act. Well done Obama". - Pendark

Offline Thumb

• Global Moderator
  • Forum VIP.
    • Redfoots.com
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 09:39:46 AM »
I don't know how Time Machine works on the Mac but with Windows 8 you have to backup to an external drive which is OK because I already had one.
My brain is full. Can I go home now

Offline gitano1

• Administrator
  • Forum VIP.
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 11:48:28 AM »
Time Machine creates a constant series of backups, recording any changes to the hard drive as often as once an hour. All of these backups can be accessed individually by date and time. All files can be accessed individually and moved into current configuration, or the most current back up can be used to restore the computer following a reinstallation of the OS. I used my Time Machine back up to bring my new computer to the same settings and data and applications as my previous computer. The process took less than an hour.
Gitano