Author Topic: Cable Modem to Router 1 to Router 2  (Read 7629 times)

Offline J in Chicago

• FORUM VIP
  • Forum VIP.
Cable Modem to Router 1 to Router 2
« on: July 22, 2013, 11:39:38 AM »
Physical placement & magicjacks (2) would be nice to cascade routers and save many wires. Is this possible?
As always asking for tech support.
J.
Running fast to stand still

Offline Thumb

• Global Moderator
  • Forum VIP.
    • Redfoots.com
Re: Cable Modem to Router 1 to Router 2
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 11:46:28 AM »
I'm not sure if it would work but it possibly could. I do know that routers assign IP's to all the devices so you would most likely have to set each router to allow only a certain range of IP's or they would conflict. There may be other issues but that's the only one I could think of off hand.
My brain is full. Can I go home now

Offline Carolina Mike

• Chief Forum Janitor
  • Forum VIP.
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 06:34:10 PM »
J,
I think you are looking for a repeater ( strengthens the wireless signal in the house).  If that is what you are looking for Best Buy has them,  Keep your receipt as sometimes they do not work as advertised.

I think Linksys used to have a router that you could pair with another Linksys router but I have never tried pairing routers
"Women do not sunbathe... They are doing a solar enhancement"

I will not answer a PM if I think the question should have been asked on the forum.

Offline J in Chicago

• FORUM VIP
  • Forum VIP.
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2013, 05:05:38 AM »
Thanks for info. I'll look at repeaters. The magic jack is a device that only works the dynamic address (hope I have that right) only work when plugged into router. They do not work when plugged into modem Ethernet port. I've tried switch but can't remember configuration.
J. 
Running fast to stand still