Author Topic: Ken Burns' Baseball ******  (Read 2570 times)

Offline gitano1

• Administrator
  • Forum VIP.
Ken Burns' Baseball ******
« on: September 22, 2013, 06:18:27 AM »
I have never been a fan of baseball, but this eleven episode documentary on the development and growth of the sport has completely enthralled me. Each episode, called Inning, is about two hours long and covers a single decade in the history of the sport. The various heroes of that time space and the growth of the industry are covered along with a very important aspect, the role of Blacks during that period. It is a history well worth watching, and totally enjoyable.
I don't believe that any other documentary theme could so effectively describe the history of race relations in the United States during the last hundred years. The banning of Black players from the major leagues, the formation of the Negro leagues, the great players of the pre-Jackie Robinson days and those who benefited from his accession into the majors is a very telling history. It gives a great deal of insight into the anger that many Blacks in America still feel. It is and should be a great embarassment.
However, for all the time spent on that issue, it is only a small part of the total story, and does not dominate it. There are the great heroes of the game Babe Ruth, Honus Wagner, Ty Cobb, Lou Gerig, Roger Maris, Mickey Mantel, Satchel Paige, Buck O'Neill, and a host of others. The last two episoded get into the late 1990s and the battle between the three greatest players of that period, McGwire, Sosa, and Barry Bonds. These are all names that almost any American will recognize even if they aren't baseball fans. When you are done with the series, even if you haven't become a fan, you have developed a real appreciation for the game and the men who have made it what it is.
I have watch all of the Ken Burn's histories beginning many, many years ago with his Civil War. None has affected me as much as this one, although every one of them is superb. If you haven't seen Ken Burns' Baseball
put it in your queue. I promise you that you won't regret it.
 $$@&% $$@&% $$@&% $$@&% $$@&% $$@&%
Gitano
"Race has now replaced rule of law officially. In one speech our president has reversed 60 years of healing the racial divide and destroyed the dream of Dr. King. The result will be an exact reversal of the conditions existing before The Civil Rights Act. And the hardest hit will be the children in whose name the left always claims to act. Well done Obama". - Pendark