Author Topic: Pacific Rim ****  (Read 1617 times)

Offline gitano1

• Administrator
  • Forum VIP.
Pacific Rim ****
« on: October 21, 2013, 08:39:25 AM »
Not for everyone, this film is what amounts to an upgrade of the great Japanese monster destroys Tokyo genre. They have managed to create a tightly edited and pretty exciting film. Unfortunately, the characters are never any more three dimensional then their predecessors in the original films.
What is significantly better is the special effects. The creatures, Kunji (Japanese for monsters) are really well done, as are the Jagers, the great robotic machines developed to fight them. It is all a huge battle between the Kunji and the Jagers to save the human race from total destruction. Like I said, the logical inheritor of Rodan, Godzilla, Mothra, et. Al.
What is fascinating is how arresting it all is without being particularly intelligent or creative. I suppose that is because it is, essentially, mindless and takes the viewer out of the real world for a couple of hours and does manage to hold the viewers attention for that time.
This is not great theater, but is is diversion if you are into this kind of film. I liked it a lot better than those stupid films where cars turn into giant robots that fight each other. ::)
It did have a rating on Rotten Tomatoes over 70% which demonstrates a decline in the discriminatory power of the critics, but does signal that the film is, indeed, watchable which it is.

$$@&% $$@&% $$@&% $$@&%
Gitano
"Race has now replaced rule of law officially. In one speech our president has reversed 60 years of healing the racial divide and destroyed the dream of Dr. King. The result will be an exact reversal of the conditions existing before The Civil Rights Act. And the hardest hit will be the children in whose name the left always claims to act. Well done Obama". - Pendark