Author Topic: Windows 8.1  (Read 719 times)

Offline J in Chicago

• FORUM VIP
  • Forum VIP.
Windows 8.1
« on: February 03, 2014, 11:49:56 PM »
I have installed Win 8.0 on only one machine. It is an HP touch screen 2 year old great machine. When I installed it it crippled several functions. One was HDMI port. Two weeks and countless calls to and from MS the final answer was not our problem.
I contacted HP and was they offered no support for 8 unless on a new machine preinstalled with 8.

I recently downloaded 8.1. It started upgrade. The next message was restoring previous version of windows. It ran forever and rebooted. Same message restoring previous....
It did this for over 48 hours. I shut down machine. I was able to boot to original restore partion. I now have my good old Windows 7 Professional system. I am in process of loading programs again and restoring my data.

This kind of support "?" has kept me from installing 8 on my newer HP W8 ready touch AIO. HP again said no support even though still in warranty when I called them.

W8.0 does have some good facilities but lack of support or clean updates leaves me running W7 on my 4 PCs.
I use iOS on my pod, pad and phone. I appreciate the flawless updates and support. There are several vital to me apps/programs that are only available on Windows. I can not replace the "i" devices every couple years.

The state of the "home user " is sadly lacking today. IMHO.

Running fast to stand still

Offline Thumb

• Global Moderator
  • Forum VIP.
    • Redfoots.com
Re: Windows 8.1
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 06:07:55 AM »
Windows 8 and8.1 in my world is worthless. I bought a new Dell last year because my old XP machine was dying and of course the Dell came with Windows 8. I couldn't believe the first time I booted it up, I thought I had a big iPhone. Then I tried installing the software I use daily and guess what, 70% of them were incompatible! Replace the software you say, not a chance unless I want to spend over $2K!

I just got my old XP machine running again so I will take the new Dell and store it out in the garage and maybe when the warranty is up, I'll install Windows 7 on it.
My brain is full. Can I go home now

Offline gitano1

• Administrator
  • Forum VIP.
Re: Windows 8.1
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 06:46:26 AM »
J, you have two absolute dogs in Microsoft and HP. Windose 8 is a complete POS and HP is slipping steadily into the realm of irrelvance in terms of their hardware. Their machines are assembled in the cheapest manner possible using very poor quality hardware purchased solely based on its price, and with a warranty that is second to none in the ability of the customer to access it. I dealt with a large number of HPs when I was doing tech support at work. Even when a machine was on warranty it was very difficult to get support that was of any value. Compared to Apple and Dell warranties, HP was garbage. I am very surprised that Microsoft did not provide some support for their OS, though. Usually they are pretty good about supporting the newest one. I suspect that they have written off 8 as the new Millennium/Vista and are just trying to survive until 9 is released.
Gitano
"Race has now replaced rule of law officially. In one speech our president has reversed 60 years of healing the racial divide and destroyed the dream of Dr. King. The result will be an exact reversal of the conditions existing before The Civil Rights Act. And the hardest hit will be the children in whose name the left always claims to act. Well done Obama". - Pendark