Author Topic: Network Speed Test  (Read 6299 times)

Offline J in Chicago

• FORUM VIP
  • Forum VIP.
Network Speed Test
« on: March 15, 2014, 08:53:06 AM »
was kooking for test to see how slow my access really is perfoming now.  TD@
Went online but even CNET downloads wanted to load crapware to install witht est.
Anyone a reccomendation of new or old test to use? ???
Running fast to stand still

Offline gitano1

• Administrator
  • Forum VIP.
Re: Network Speed Test
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2014, 11:57:52 AM »
This one works for me:  http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/
Gitano
"Race has now replaced rule of law officially. In one speech our president has reversed 60 years of healing the racial divide and destroyed the dream of Dr. King. The result will be an exact reversal of the conditions existing before The Civil Rights Act. And the hardest hit will be the children in whose name the left always claims to act. Well done Obama". - Pendark

Offline Thumb

• Global Moderator
  • Forum VIP.
    • Redfoots.com
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2014, 06:14:47 PM »
This one is great, you can pick test sites all over the U.S.
http://www.speedtest.net/index.php\

Once you get the test results, you can copy it and post like this one below that I just did on mine

My brain is full. Can I go home now

Offline gitano1

• Administrator
  • Forum VIP.
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2014, 07:33:21 PM »
I used to use SpeedTest, but it stopped working on my system. I suspect that Centurylink is blocking it. The one I posted still works and also connects to a number of sites around the country. Interestingly, SpeedTest works on my iPhone.
Gitano
"Race has now replaced rule of law officially. In one speech our president has reversed 60 years of healing the racial divide and destroyed the dream of Dr. King. The result will be an exact reversal of the conditions existing before The Civil Rights Act. And the hardest hit will be the children in whose name the left always claims to act. Well done Obama". - Pendark

Offline Thumb

• Global Moderator
  • Forum VIP.
    • Redfoots.com
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2014, 10:59:39 PM »
There's one thing you have to remember though, it doesn't matter if you have the fastest speed in the world you will only be able to download as fast as the place you are downloading from can put out. In other words, if the server/website puts out at 2 mbs, that's as fast as you will be able to get it. Does that make sense?

Offline gitano1

• Administrator
  • Forum VIP.
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2014, 05:30:56 AM »
J mentioned Clear Networks. I had a friend who used it in Seattle, barely moved the needle. Both of the test sites offer a range of sources to check against. I found that San Francisco was generally slower, probably due to a lot of traffic. New York and Washington DC about the same.
Gitano

Offline Thumb

• Global Moderator
  • Forum VIP.
    • Redfoots.com
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2014, 07:18:10 AM »
I tried a lot of different servers and the best ones were in Utah and Montana surprisingly at around 40 DL and 4.5 UL.

Offline J in Chicago

• FORUM VIP
  • Forum VIP.
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2014, 05:47:06 PM »
Clear:
Down load <=5
Up load <=1
Lol. When I move I'll make sure multiple high speed internet
Is available.
I can use person hot spot on iPhone and get better speeds.
I need clear to keep home router and devices available when I'm not home.
Clear is modem and Ethernet & wireless in one.
I'll plug my router into it so don't have to setup network again.

I also needed an Ethernet port for my personal cloud used to back up all devices data. LOL it is USB 3 3TB with 1 GB solid state buffer. LAN can take advantage of this.
I have over 2TB of data to consolidate and organize in logical manner.
My iPhone, iPad, iPod will use the slow internet when away from home and the fast LAN when home.
I'll still beable to stream local. And let large downloads take the days they need.

Now speed does not matter just having access.
I have several LARGE LAN projects that will use gigabyte Ethernet and smart router to speed device access. 
Realized I'm rambling. Figuring out configuration while I post. Sorry.  ~---~
Running fast to stand still