Author Topic: Star Trek Into Darkeness ****  (Read 704 times)

Offline gitano1

• Administrator
  • Forum VIP.
Star Trek Into Darkeness ****
« on: May 25, 2014, 06:13:20 AM »
This film just showed up on NetFlix and I finally got around to watching it. I remember some controversy about the film and the new cast on this site at the time it was in theaters. So, at the outset, let me say that I am not a Trekkie. I have watched all of the television series and most of the movies, although I never saw The Wrath of Khan. From that standpoint, I really enjoyed this film, as I did the last one with the updated cast.
There is certainly a real attempt to maintain some relationship between the original actors and the new players, and that is quite effective, if a touch jarring at times. The FX are getting better and better, and Benedict Cumberbatch as Khan was far more believable than Ricardo Montalban wearing a false chest to make him look muscular, at least from the bits I have seen of that version. I have seen Cumberbatch in a number of shows, and he is a far more skilled actor than Montalban ever was.
The movie was produced and directed by J.J. Abrams who I usually find a bit too much over the top. However, I felt this time he was right on the mark. There were lots of Abrams' famous action scenes which kept me right on the edge of my seat.
It seems to me that the major problems others found with the film were the disconnects from the original series. I can only suggest that if James Bond was limited to the 13 or so books that Ian Fleming wrote and adaptations of those for film that there would have been far fewer James Bond films.  The original series was a product of its time and its originator, Gene Roddenberry. It was wonderful, but in today's world it is very outdated. The new franchise is capable of being expanded through a large number of new films which, if like this one, will be very entertaining and diverting.
I know that for some this is heresy, but Star Trek was a television show, not a religion, and even religions undergo a process of reinvention. This one is worth seeing and enjoying.  $$@&% $$@&% $$@&% $$@&%
« Last Edit: May 25, 2014, 06:16:59 AM by gitano1 »
Gitano
"Race has now replaced rule of law officially. In one speech our president has reversed 60 years of healing the racial divide and destroyed the dream of Dr. King. The result will be an exact reversal of the conditions existing before The Civil Rights Act. And the hardest hit will be the children in whose name the left always claims to act. Well done Obama". - Pendark