Author Topic: Sanctum ****  (Read 3390 times)

Offline gitano1

• Administrator
  • Forum VIP.
Sanctum ****
« on: June 30, 2014, 06:05:27 AM »
This was a bit of a surprise. I really anticipated watching about ten minutes worth and switching it off. The reviews I had read about it were not very good. One reviewer talked about the rocks in the inside of the cave looking like they were made of styrofoam. Others had similar comments. I don't think anyone who made those comments had ever been inside of a cave, either underwater or simply walking through one. That is what caves look like, and they are uniquely scary places.
The story is loosely based on an actual event that occurred in 1988 in the Nullabar region of Australia when a large party was trapped in a cave following the onset of a tropical storm. In this film the location is moved to Papua New Guinea making it even more remote and dramatic.
The story involves the exploration of a very large cave through which a large river drains to the sea. The explorers want to follow the river to its exit and maps its extent. As they say, there are very few places a man can shine a light that no man has ever done so before. Having been a climber for most of my life I understand the desire to stand on untrodden ground, but the inside of a cave filled with water with nasty tight places stirs a lot of unwonted fears in me. When I was much younger I did some cave diving and a few dives under the ice in frozen lakes. Neither experience left me with the desire to make it a regular part of my life. Both are uniquely dangerous forms of diving. Caves have a particular danger in that your body can be subjected to far greater pressure in a cave than you realize, so you have the effects of deep prolonged descents without realizing it in the same way you would in open ocean dives. Decompression sickness, the Bends, is an ever present danger. At least one of the writers was an experienced cave diver and did a pretty good job of keeping the script real in terms of those things.
Even though the story is somewhat predictable, there aren't a lot of things that can happen in a cave that haven't been shown in previous movies about caving and cave diving, it is pretty gripping. The father/son relationship which evolves in the story is an old theme but common enough in human culture to be one that bears repeating. The photography is excellent, the scenery, despite comments by the uninformed, was very realistic. The actors, all Australians, were quite good.
All in all, I enjoyed the film. The executive producer, James Cameron, always seems to come up with watchable films, and this one was certainly that.   $$@&% $$@&% $$@&% $$@&%    nfx#
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 06:09:09 AM by gitano1 »
Gitano
"Race has now replaced rule of law officially. In one speech our president has reversed 60 years of healing the racial divide and destroyed the dream of Dr. King. The result will be an exact reversal of the conditions existing before The Civil Rights Act. And the hardest hit will be the children in whose name the left always claims to act. Well done Obama". - Pendark