Author Topic: Begin Again  (Read 499 times)

Offline bbell

• Forum VIP.
Begin Again
« on: July 14, 2014, 09:21:31 PM »
From IMDB:
A chance encounter between a disgraced music-business executive and a young singer-songwriter new to Manhattan turns into a promising collaboration between the two talents.

Stars: Keira Knightley, Mark Ruffalo, Adam Levine

I included that quick synopsis from IMDB because if you go to see this movie that is what you will see. But like a good Seinfeld episode there is much more going on, much more of life is happening. Before I go any further, let me make two things very clear, this a very good movie. But you should wait to see it at home. The reason you should wait to see it at home is because nothing big happens in this movie. There is no sex, no car chases, no shootouts. The two incidents of violence never rise above that of the Three Stooges level and each is earned. So when this movie ends, it just ends with no Hollywood fanfare and for awhile you are left with the feeling, where was the drama, all the melodrama. It left after the first few minutes because this is a comedy that skewers with subtlety.

Subtlety like this:
--I have been trying to get him to notice me.
** He notices you, you just have to get his attention.
--That's why I dress like this.
** Leaves nothing to the imagination.
--It is very sexy.
** Yes, it is sexy. It is very American skank!

You may not think that exchange is very subtle, but when seen in context, it is nothing less than magic. The reaction of the third person involved in that scene who does not speak is priceless.  Like so many little unspoken moments in this movie.

This is a movie of little moments of golden humor. Humor which takes its greatest aim at the music-business. So as you watch one very broken man and a hurt woman re build their lives over one New York summer. You will find yourself thoroughly entertained with little humorous moments that pack punches small and large and always with subtlety. 3 out of 4 stars with the warning wait for the dvd.
You must forgive them. So many people did not slay the bogey man living under their bed as a child. Thus they feel him everywhere, hence the need to always carry a gun. Living in fear of the bogey man is a heavy burden for people to carry. So sad.