Author Topic: Hercules and Guardians of the Galaxy  (Read 1356 times)

Offline bbell

• Forum VIP.
Hercules and Guardians of the Galaxy
« on: August 17, 2014, 10:18:34 AM »
I am not going to review these movies but rather I am going to talk about them a little. Because as I was watching these movies I realized that the movies were not made with me in mind. I was 25 to 30 years beyond the demographics of these movies. Closer to the 30 year range.

Hercules: Is yet another re-imagining of the Greek demigod Hercules. There have been many before and I am sure there will be many to come. In this version which uses some of the Greek myths that you are familiar with to support the story. Finds Hercules as a mercenary with a strong band of four fellow warriors and a story teller. Roaming Greece, defending city states and other communities for a price of course, against assorted bad guys. After the death of Hercules wife and child he just wants to save enough money to buy an island somewhere so he can live in peace.

Ten minutes into the movie, Hercules has a conversation with someone. In that moment I knew exactly where the story was going and how all the characters would fit into the narrative. As a person in my early 50's, the only thing left to know or enjoy about the film were the characters and their journey. It is safe to say that if the Greeks would have had Hercules and his band of mercenaries at the battle of Thermopylae. They would have only needed about 55 men and the Greeks would have won.

You see not only does Hercules have amazing strength. But his Amazon archer has the ability to load three arrows into her bow in the midst of a fierce battle. Release the arrows as if they were the Krakens and they find the hearts and or eye sockets of the intended targets. Amazing stuff right, but not as amazing as the Xena like boomerang devices that a couple of his companions seem to possess. You know it cuts through multiple peoples body parts and returns to its owner as if physics does not exist in the Greek isles. Not to be out done is the near Transformers like nature of their weapons. I say near Transformers like nature, because even though the most mundane looking weapon often transforms into some amazing piece of fighting equipment, the weapons appear not to be sentient.

If you were to go down a check list of what makes a good movie, Hercules would have a lot of boxes with checks in them. That is unless you are over the age of 40. In which case the been there, seen that, really— you expect me to believe that can happen, takes over and you see the movie differently. How much differently I must leave to the individual watcher.

Guardians of the Galaxy: Is the story of how a group of not very nice varying entities come together to fight a really bad not very nice entity. Before I go any further get use to the term entity, this is the Marvel comic universe here, everybody is an alien to somebody. You have a bi-entity human from earth who was kidnapped from earth in the late eighties, a sentient raccoon and tree from earth, an entity mad at the universe for the death of his family and finally a female entity who has destroyed entire planets. Of course she feels bad for having done so, which is why she joins our motley band of entities to stop the big bad.

Much like Hercules, Guardians is a very well made movie with most of the same caveats. Been there, seen that, really— you expect me to believe that can happen. Except for the last part, because they really want you to believe what you are seeing. Which would work well for a young person. However when you are over fifty and you realize you are watching a fight scene taking place on the head of a long dead super being which is being mined for its minerals. With the participants being a sentient raccoon, which an adequate explanation is given as to why he is sentient, with a chip on his shoulder for being considered well a varmint. A tree, that is sentient, no explanation given, which can say only 3 may be four words, but seems nearly in destructible. And a variety of other assorted entities. You tend to have to many WTF moments, which can take you out of the story.

Just like Hercules I believe if you are young enough this movie will really appeal to you. However for older persons it may be difficult to stay in the “young at heart, non cynical suspended belief in reality mode,” for the length of these two movies to truly enjoy them. However if you can............  
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 06:54:20 PM by bbell »
You must forgive them. So many people did not slay the bogey man living under their bed as a child. Thus they feel him everywhere, hence the need to always carry a gun. Living in fear of the bogey man is a heavy burden for people to carry. So sad. 

Offline gitano1

• Administrator
  • Forum VIP.
Re: Hercules and Guardians of the Galaxy
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2014, 11:57:03 AM »
It sounds like pretty typical reimagining. They neglected to tell you that Heracles (the Greek as opposed to Hercules, the Roman) killed his wife and son. He never became a merc because he was too busy repaying a debt to his half brother, hence the various toils he is required to perform.
Personally, I love Greek mythology. I hate the stupidity that finds it necessary to mess with stories that have lasted for, literally, thousands of years. I do like Dwayne Johnson. Think he has a terrific presence on film, a charisma, actually a far nicer guy than Heracles was alleged to be. The Greek heroes were not necessarlly heroes by our definition, more just exceptionally strong humans who performed great feats, but usually were pretty flawed as people. Heracles ended up as a god after he died which only goes to show that you don't have to be good to be deified.
Thanks for the heads uo on these films, BBELL.We all appreciate the sacrifice you make so that the rest of us don't have to. ^^^
Gitano
"Race has now replaced rule of law officially. In one speech our president has reversed 60 years of healing the racial divide and destroyed the dream of Dr. King. The result will be an exact reversal of the conditions existing before The Civil Rights Act. And the hardest hit will be the children in whose name the left always claims to act. Well done Obama". - Pendark