Author Topic: Robin Williams Suicide: Dark Opinion  (Read 3984 times)

Offline bbell

• Forum VIP.
Robin Williams Suicide: Dark Opinion
« on: August 17, 2014, 05:22:05 PM »
Let me say up front I have know idea why Robin Williams committed suicide. But after hearing his wife say he was in the early stages of Parkinson's, I no longer feel sorry for him. A little sad for his family but I do not pity Robin or feel sorry for him in any way.

I have long felt that life should have a quality to it. It should be much more than feeding tubes and a semi lucid state. Many people in this world and members of my family believe that life is life. It does not matter the quality of a life, as long as the person is living.

I for one see great nobility in the person who sees clearly where his body and mind will be in the course of time do to some degenerative ultimately fatal disease. When he says to himself I will not endure these indignities to my mind and body. I will not watch my loved ones suffer on my behalf for months or perhaps years because..... Well I do not know why some people choose to suffer such horrible fates and it is not for me to judge them.

I believe if a person decides that he or she will spare their families from watching the vitality and humanity drain from their bodies until all they are is a shell of a human being, that I can not chastise his or her decision to commit suicide. Your family and loved ones will know pain and maybe some suffering over your decision. But the pain and suffering will not be multiplied by months and or years of you and your family and loved ones suffering with you, because of you.

Many will say what a selfish thought process. I say for anyone who has seen some one deep into Parkinson's, MS, Alzheimer's, Cancer or any other truly degenerative and fatal disease. And cannot grasp the concept of a Quality of Mercy..... Is just different than me. Sometimes suicide can be a far better thing than they have ever done before. Just sometimes!
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 05:42:08 PM by bbell »
You must forgive them. So many people did not slay the bogey man living under their bed as a child. Thus they feel him everywhere, hence the need to always carry a gun. Living in fear of the bogey man is a heavy burden for people to carry. So sad. 

Offline gitano1

• Administrator
  • Forum VIP.
Re: Robin Williams Suicide: Dark Opinion
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2014, 06:30:09 AM »
In my freshman year of college I did a paper on euthanasia. It began what has been a life long study of the subject. At that time I interviewed a number of churchmen, among them Cardinal Spellman of New York. They all seemed to hold that human suffering hsd value which could not be discounted or denied. To a healthy young man that made sense. To a man now approaching his 70th birthday, not so much.
I agree with you, BBELL. There is no value is watching the last bits of dignity stripped away from a person, knowing that there will be no recovery or return. I saw my grandmother slip deeper and deeper into Alzheimers, we called it senility in those days. She has been a strong, vibrant woman, loving and generous with an enormous personal dignity. She degenerated into a nearly mindless child who would escape from home and run through the streets if not locked in her room. She did not recognize either her her children or grandchildren in the last years. It was a terrible thing to watch. Although it is probably projection, I think I saw terror, constant fear, in her face as her world became completely disoriented. There was no dignity, no possible happiness, and possibility of a return to even brief normalcy. For all of my family it was a terrible time.
Like you, I can only speculate on Robin Williams motivations. He was, obviously, in deep emotional darkness, a place that he was only, seemingly, able to avoid when on stage or performing on film. I have never been depressed though I have experienced dark moments, so it is hard to imagine the depths of despair he suffered, that many with depression suffer. I doubt that the Parkinson's was the cause of his suicide. It was still in early onset from the descriptions. I more suspect that Williams was always just a little distance from killing himself, that the moments of antic craziness that he displayed on stage and film were the only things that kept the wolf of his despair at bay. He suffered some set backs which for a normal person would have been upsetting but which for him were devastating because he always perceived the glass as half empty. In his last days the setbacks much has seemed to multiply and become overwhelming. The looming fear of a life devoid of even brief moments of happiness must have closed in on him as he saw his career winding down, as all careers ultimately do. For Williams it was all he had, just those brief moments manic silliness and the laughs they elicited from his audiences.
It is fine to talk about the sanctity of life and what we owe to our loved ones and others. However, in the end we live alone and we die alone. No one can really get inside of another's head and understand their suffering completely. Saying that he acted selfishly is absurd. In the end Robin Williams had but one thing, life, and that he chose to end it rather than continue to suffer is no one's business but his.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 06:35:14 AM by gitano1 »
Gitano
"Race has now replaced rule of law officially. In one speech our president has reversed 60 years of healing the racial divide and destroyed the dream of Dr. King. The result will be an exact reversal of the conditions existing before The Civil Rights Act. And the hardest hit will be the children in whose name the left always claims to act. Well done Obama". - Pendark

Offline bbell

• Forum VIP.
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2014, 07:28:13 PM »
Robin Williams was always a very physical comedian. I would imagine that fear of losing fine motor control would be something that would weigh heavy on his mind. Especially after seeing what his friend Christopher Reeves went through. In this world I just hope that some will respect and honor my living will if I become all of a sudden incapacitated. 
You must forgive them. So many people did not slay the bogey man living under their bed as a child. Thus they feel him everywhere, hence the need to always carry a gun. Living in fear of the bogey man is a heavy burden for people to carry. So sad. 

Offline gitano1

• Administrator
  • Forum VIP.
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2014, 05:26:47 AM »
I can relate to that. My first wife used to tell me to not come home as a quadraplegic or paraplegic when I went climbing, sort of implying I would be on my own. I treasure my independence. I cannot imagine a worse fate than to be dependent on others for the basics. I suspect that Hemingway opted for eating his shotgun for that reason more than any other. Incapacity for an active person is, perhaps, the worst possible condition.
Gitano
"Race has now replaced rule of law officially. In one speech our president has reversed 60 years of healing the racial divide and destroyed the dream of Dr. King. The result will be an exact reversal of the conditions existing before The Civil Rights Act. And the hardest hit will be the children in whose name the left always claims to act. Well done Obama". - Pendark