Author Topic: I'm Coming Out of the Closet  (Read 631 times)

Offline bbell

• Forum VIP.
I'm Coming Out of the Closet
« on: January 05, 2016, 04:17:46 PM »
I'm Coming Out of the Closet

Shortly before Christmas I was forced to face who I was as a person. So I decided that the Christmas holiday would be the time that I let my friends and family know who I was inside. I came out of the closet and revealed my true self to them. Now I think it is time I do so to my online communities. It's not as easy as I thought it would be, but here it goes. THE NEW STAR WARS MOVIE SUCKS!! Where have I seen this before? Oh, I know, the first six movies, where it was done better in at least a couple of them. But do you know what sucks more than the new Star Wars? IT IS WHAT THEY HAVE DONE TO STAR TREK. They have turned Star Trek into 'Young Adult Chick Sci-Fi'. the scourge of all stem trained males and a select few stem trained women who did not lose interest in science after the eight grade.

A light year is not a measure of time, but a measure of distance. It is how far light can travel in a year at the speed of 186,282 miles per second. Non stem people, that is 186,282 miles per second 24/7-365. Now that that is known. Vulcan is 16 light years from earth, if you could travel at 729 times the speed of light. Do you know how many light years you could travel in a day? 2 light years. So a journey from earth would take eight days at the least. Especially since the top warp speed in Kirk's era was warp 6. Which means it should take about 27 days to reach Vulcan.

So explain to me how in the first Star Trek reboot movie, when they are in the middle of court-martialing “the boy in the mans body” Kirk, on earth. That they are able to reach Vulcan in about 20 minutes. Or in the second movie, where they were able journey back from Klingon space in what seemed mere minutes. If you can travel 16 light years in about 20 minutes then the vastness and harshness of space are made irrelevant. It was the wonders of the vastness of space and all the inherent dangers and loneliness of deep space travel that were the true allure of Star Trek.

Which brings me to the heart of my hate for the new Star Trek. When you look at this new cast of characters. Do you get the sense that these people could science the shit out of a tough situation? The answer is hell no! These new crop of Star Fleet officers are at best Keystone Cops, who could not science the shit out of a papier-mâché baking soda and vinegar volcano. Yes they would all fail the 5th grade science fair circa 1985.

Enough with the impossible light year speeds and the lack of ability to science the shit out of something. That stuff just makes Star Trek bad science fiction which is a crime not an abomination like the Lifetime movie network esque qualities of the female characters. I can not believe what they have done to Uhura. They have turn her into some type of a needy Lifetime movie girlfriend who does not realize she is serving on a starship in deep space as a Star Fleet officer. Initiating kisses at the wrong time and place. She is so completely incapable of controlling her emotions, that the man child Kirk has to ask if they are good, her and her boyfriend Spock, before going on a critical mission. Jeez!! Uhura, you and Spock each have private quarters, air out your dirty laundry and or insecurities in private! Where have my competent professional Star Trek characters gone? Surly not to that galaxy far far away. Say what you will about George Lucas's interpretation of his own work. At least he understood that space and battle are places where only the well trained thrive and survive. Such is not the case in The Force Awakens.

The people over at the feminist frequency should be celebrating. For you have won. With the rise of Young Adult Chick Sci-Fi you have managed to effectively kill off the Manic Pixie Dream Girl and replace her with the Clueless Cinderella Warrior Girl. Yeah, for the new modern feminist! Yeah for the Young Adult Chick Sci-Fi crowd! Yeah for the Clueless Cinderella Warrior Girl! With her standard characteristics being that she walked around most of her life, totally clueless and unremarkable as a human being, compared to other hard working high achieving girls. Then one day she starts to menstruate or kisses a boy or reads some magic words or in the worst case dies.

Then all of a sudden she emerges, still clueless, but with superior warrior skills, enough to best the evil at hand. The evil at hand is usually 'a evil boy' in a mans body, which she happens to be crushing on. Mean while her newly found snowflake status endears her to the hearts and minds of many who are willing to sacrifice their lives so Clueless Cinderella Warrior Girl can live on to fulfill her destiny of saving a group, race or the entire human race. Inevitably on her journey to save the world she asks, how am I able to do all of this? The question should be rhetorical, because we all know she is the snowflake commonly referred to as Clueless Cinderella Warrior Girl. I am hash tagging that. #CluelessCinderellaWarriorGirl.

Well at least the females are faring better in the Young Adult Chick Sci-Fi that is the Force Awakens. As for the minorities, all we get is the wise cracking garbage man, err, sanitation engineer straight out of the Compton sector. The only things missing from his ghetto, err, urban performance was some old guy calling him a big dummy and a Tupac reference. Okay he was chivalrous enough to try and hold the snowflake's hand when they were running from the bad guys. I am assuming that is where he got the skill to wield a lightsaber. Touching the hand of a snowflake who is a Clueless Cinderella Warrior Girl, is good like that.

I am not going to bad mouth Hollywood for they are in the business of making money. Disney paid good money for the  rights to Star wars and judging by the scoreboard bank they are making with their latest incarnation of Star Wars, they are right. If they want to helm a Young Adult Chick Sci-Fi Star Wars with a Clueless Cinderella Warrior Girl. As for Star Trek, it is nothing less than appalling to turn such a proud franchise and cast of characters who could science the shit out of or think their way out of the most harrowing of situations. Into a bunch of Young Adult Chick Sci-Fi  characters, represented by the man child Kirk, the girl in the body of a woman Uhura. With a cast of characters who would follow the man child, because they are all just Clueless Cinderella Warrior Girls, without the Cinderella and the Warrior, which just makes them all just clueless girls, metaphorically speaking. 

By B Bell; I stand by all assertion misogynist as they may be.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 09:04:18 PM by bbell »
You must forgive them. So many people did not slay the bogey man living under their bed as a child. Thus they feel him everywhere, hence the need to always carry a gun. Living in fear of the bogey man is a heavy burden for people to carry. So sad. 

Offline gitano1

• Administrator
  • Forum VIP.
Re: I'm Coming Out of the Closet
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2016, 04:49:27 PM »
 I think you are probably right in your assessment of the two films. However, for some of us the technical stuff, like lightspeed, doesn't really enter into the enjoyment of the film. For me, what I love in SciFi is the putting of human beings into a different environment than is available in the current world and seeing how they act and adapt. On the other hand, there are those who are very much interested in the science part of the SciFi experience. I have a lot of friends who enjoy Isaac Asimov and other of the more technically oriented writers more than I do. I prefer Heinlein and Bradbury. It is just a matter of taste. In watching a film like Star Trek I don't bother analyzing the elements travel through space. It really isn't of any interest  to me. The human interactions, so long and they are believable within the context of the story are what turn my crank.
Having said that, I do appreciate your piece. It is interesting to read about those technical inaccuracies which never occurred to me and to get a further insight into your thinking. And, once again, you are probably absolutely correct in your assessment. ^^^
Gitano
"Race has now replaced rule of law officially. In one speech our president has reversed 60 years of healing the racial divide and destroyed the dream of Dr. King. The result will be an exact reversal of the conditions existing before The Civil Rights Act. And the hardest hit will be the children in whose name the left always claims to act. Well done Obama". - Pendark

Offline Thumb

• Global Moderator
  • Forum VIP.
    • Redfoots.com
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2016, 10:01:20 PM »
OMG bbell, you came out of the closet alright! Yesterday you were a young whipper snapper and today you have caught up to the rest of us old fogies remembering what use to be and complaining on what now is. I understand though your concern about the light speed thing but you need to remember, if they made the movie to make it right, we would be watching the movie for the rest of our lives just to see them get to Vulcan!  ;D

So they shortened it  ;D

I just watched Star Wars today and enjoyed it, not really for what you are talking about but more for the effects and references to the previous movies. And as far as the girl becoming a super warrior, she already was, it's called the Force!   
My brain is full. Can I go home now

Offline bbell

• Forum VIP.
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2016, 11:33:53 PM »
I am just happy that when it comes to the latest Star Wars movie George Lucas is not a fan also. But then how could he be. He spent six movies building a simply but strong theme, and in one movie it was rendered moot. There are many with the force, but to use it, requires training, to use it well requires lots of training. Then there is a mastery of the force that few ever realize. I will give you that Rey spent most of the movie acting as if she was suffering from a post hypnotic suggestion, or in that galaxy a severe Jedi mind trick. But Finn should not have even been able to parry once. But such is life in YACSF universe, the untrained always defeat those who have been steeped in training and mastery for years.

There is a very specific reason the building of your lightsaber symbolized the completion of your training, but not necessarily your mastering of the force.

As for Star Trek it is just a complete mess. Between the warp speeds, the distance people are being transported, "light years", the near instance communications over light years. You have to be a very good writer to write good science fiction based in space. Did you see the movie The Martian? Very good science fiction.
You must forgive them. So many people did not slay the bogey man living under their bed as a child. Thus they feel him everywhere, hence the need to always carry a gun. Living in fear of the bogey man is a heavy burden for people to carry. So sad. 

Offline Thumb

• Global Moderator
  • Forum VIP.
    • Redfoots.com
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2016, 12:03:04 AM »
I don't know, if it came out on DVD probably, I know I didn't see it in the theaters.

Offline bbell

• Forum VIP.
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2016, 01:56:56 AM »
The Martian should be out on video soon well worth the watch and then some.

https://youtu.be/d6lYeTWdYLw
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 02:03:03 AM by bbell »

Offline gitano1

• Administrator
  • Forum VIP.
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2016, 08:09:57 AM »
Amazon has it, but you have to pay for the privilege of streaming it.
Gitano
"Race has now replaced rule of law officially. In one speech our president has reversed 60 years of healing the racial divide and destroyed the dream of Dr. King. The result will be an exact reversal of the conditions existing before The Civil Rights Act. And the hardest hit will be the children in whose name the left always claims to act. Well done Obama". - Pendark

Offline Thumb

• Global Moderator
  • Forum VIP.
    • Redfoots.com
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2016, 08:37:15 AM »
I'll wait  ;D

Offline Thumb

• Global Moderator
  • Forum VIP.
    • Redfoots.com
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2016, 10:06:51 PM »
I just remembered that the new Star Trek series that is coming out has my wife's cousin playing a major part in it. She believes he is playing the security chief. We shall see when it comes out. 

Offline bbell

• Forum VIP.
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2016, 10:34:42 AM »
Had to post this link because it is almost exactly what I was thinking and feeling as I watched The Force Awakens.

http://www.cracked.com/blog/if-the-force-awakens-was-way-shorter-more-honest