Author Topic: Windows 10, not recognizing Samsung mobile devices.  (Read 231 times)

Offline bbell

• Forum VIP.
Windows 10, not recognizing Samsung mobile devices.
« on: February 04, 2017, 04:34:35 PM »
If Windows 10 is not recognizing your Samsung mobile devices. Try this.

1. First thing, unplug your Samsung phone or tablet from the computer.
2. Find and click on the control panel.
3. Click on the hardware and sound.
4. Under devices and printers click on the Device manager.
5. You want to scroll down to other devices and click on it, to expand it.
6. Now plug in your Samsung device. The Device manager will refresh automatically.
7. You should see an unknown device now under other devices. If not click on other devices to expand it once again.
8. Now right click on the unknown device it should identify the device as a samsung device.
9. This is where you will click on the update driver button. Select the option that allows for a computer and internet search. It will find what it needs from the internet.
10. Now allow for the device drivers to be downloaded and installed. This may take a few minutes.
11. After they have installed the device manager will refresh.
12. Now look under portable devices which should be located just under other devices. And you should find your samsung device properly identified.
13. At this point your device will show up under windows explorer. However the contents may not be visible until you install and run samsung smart switch for the first time.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 04:36:17 PM by bbell »
You must forgive them. So many people did not slay the bogey man living under their bed as a child. Thus they feel him everywhere, hence the need to always carry a gun. Living in fear of the bogey man is a heavy burden for people to carry. So sad. 

Offline gitano1

• Administrator
  • Forum VIP.
Re: Windows 10, not recognizing Samsung mobile devices.
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2017, 07:59:41 PM »
Very timely, BBell. I just bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab A. I was going to try to see if I could get my Mac to recognize it, but I think the Windows 10 computer might be a better bet. That is a really nicely done, step-by-step guide. Thank you very much.
Gitano
"Race has now replaced rule of law officially. In one speech our president has reversed 60 years of healing the racial divide and destroyed the dream of Dr. King. The result will be an exact reversal of the conditions existing before The Civil Rights Act. And the hardest hit will be the children in whose name the left always claims to act. Well done Obama". - Pendark

Offline bbell

• Forum VIP.
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2017, 08:44:59 PM »
This was strictly for usb connections. There is a separate app for both PC's and Apple that allow usb transfers. The smart switch, which is for PC's, did not work for me.

Hopefully you will not need the steps. I spent over four hours today trying to get both my S6 and Tab A to be recognized by my computer. I contacted Samsung support and they explained that Marshmallow and windows 10 had some problems. But that if the tablet was new enough or I followed their instructions I should be Okay. For me that was not the case. After searching Microsoft I finally got enough of a clue to figure it out. Because like Samsung their solution did not quite work for me either.

You must forgive them. So many people did not slay the bogey man living under their bed as a child. Thus they feel him everywhere, hence the need to always carry a gun. Living in fear of the bogey man is a heavy burden for people to carry. So sad. 

Offline gitano1

• Administrator
  • Forum VIP.
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2017, 06:12:46 AM »
I will give it a shot later and let you know how it goes. Thanks.
Gitano
"Race has now replaced rule of law officially. In one speech our president has reversed 60 years of healing the racial divide and destroyed the dream of Dr. King. The result will be an exact reversal of the conditions existing before The Civil Rights Act. And the hardest hit will be the children in whose name the left always claims to act. Well done Obama". - Pendark

Offline gitano1

• Administrator
  • Forum VIP.
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2017, 08:11:15 AM »
I gave it a shot. The Samsung Galaxy Tab A shows up in Windows Explorer, but the contents show as empty. I downloaded and installed Smart Switch, but got nothing out of that either. Any further Tips?
Gitano

Offline bbell

• Forum VIP.
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2017, 11:31:11 AM »
 One thing you can try from inside of Samsung switch there is a setting for installing or reinstalling samsung drivers. You will definitely need the drivers to access the contents.

Offline gitano1

• Administrator
  • Forum VIP.
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2017, 11:45:37 AM »
I actually got it just before I saw your post.  It asked me to allow the MDP or some such acronym, I did and the contents magically appeared. I was able to transfer a couple of picture files over to the Galaxy. Cool. Anyway, thank you for getting this all started. It really went seamlessly, probably because my Tab A is brand new and has all of the latest updates. I love the resolution, BTW, absolutely gorgeous screen and color reproduction.
Gitano