Author Topic: Nothing There  (Read 1961 times)

roadrunner2455

Nothing There
« on: November 14, 2009, 07:02:57 AM »
Hello,
              Been awhile since I've been here.I have had the wierdest thing happen.System was working fine.I installed new HDD and was going to install windows 64 bit,full install.So I install HDD.Put all back together only to find out it will not post now.Ok,so I re-install old HDD and get same thing.What happened ?Beats the hell out of me !Any ideas ?This is a real stumper.I installed a 300 gig velociraptor,and wanted to install windows 7 proffesional 64 bit.Shouldn't be this hard.

Roadrunner2455
« Last Edit: November 14, 2009, 07:06:24 AM by roadrunner2455 »

Offline gitano1

• Administrator
  • Forum VIP.
Re: Nothing There
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2009, 07:43:33 AM »
Here is a step by step instruction sheet on installation. The drive won't be recognized until it is formatted. That is why you can't see it:
http://www.pcmech.com/article/installing-a-hard-drive-step-by-step/
Gitano
"Race has now replaced rule of law officially. In one speech our president has reversed 60 years of healing the racial divide and destroyed the dream of Dr. King. The result will be an exact reversal of the conditions existing before The Civil Rights Act. And the hardest hit will be the children in whose name the left always claims to act. Well done Obama". - Pendark

roadrunner2455

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2009, 08:29:08 AM »
I'm not talking about the hard drive being seen.I see nothing.............My monitor stays in digital power savingnmode.I can't even look in bios to see if it is being seen.Thats why I put old hard drive back in to see what maybe it could be,but it does not boot,does nothing like the brand new hard drive now ???Monitor stays in dig. pow. saving mode.Pc is on,hdd spinning,but nobody is home ??

roadrunner2455

roadrunner2455

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2009, 09:45:15 AM »
Ok Gitano thanks for the help.I just solved the issue.I took out video card and blew out w/ air hose re-installed and all is back.Why it did what it did during hdd install not sure.I might have bumped it w/ hdd install and it needed to be re-seated.I am def. a happy camper now.That stuff drives me nuts till I finally get lucky and fix it LOL

Roadrunner2455

Offline gitano1

• Administrator
  • Forum VIP.
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2009, 11:07:17 AM »
I had written a response to your next to the last post basically suggesting that you check all connections to the monitor, pull the video card, if you had one, etc., and I got an internet disconnect and lost the post before I could send it. My new iMac had hiccup. The latest update screwed up my wireless card (Airport). After a brief discussion with the experts at Apple I decided to reinstall the OS without the latest update. That took about an hour and a half. All is up and back to normal, but you solved the problem before I could make the post. Glad you are up. Just some advice for future reference: I always try to narrow down the possibilities of a problem's etiology. Once I got the full description of what you were experiencing it was obviously something to do with either the video card, monitor or connecting cables between the two. Most modern computers have integrated video, so when you describe a problem be sure to state whether you have an actual video and sound card or integrated ones. Your initial description sounded like you were getting nothing on the screen referencing the HDD which is why I responded as I did. Remember, we do not have the machine in front of us, so the more information we have the easier it is to visualize what you are experiencing. Unlike Macs, there are thousands of configurations of Windows machines. The more we know the easier it is to identify the cause of your problem.
Gitano
"Race has now replaced rule of law officially. In one speech our president has reversed 60 years of healing the racial divide and destroyed the dream of Dr. King. The result will be an exact reversal of the conditions existing before The Civil Rights Act. And the hardest hit will be the children in whose name the left always claims to act. Well done Obama". - Pendark

roadrunner2455

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2009, 07:18:18 AM »
Oh yea,I totaly understand.I know it is close to impossible to diagnose a problem w/out the computer sitting in front of you.It was just very strange how you do one thing and something else totaly is wrong.I just figured it was fine before installing hdd.Only thing I can figure is my video card is a 9600 nvidia GT.Those are very long.I guess when I installed hdd I must have bumped it enough to just unseat it.
                          But about the velociraptor,it is flat out quick.It took me 10 min. to install clean copy of win. 7 Pro.In fact it is so darn quick that I have to actually get a keyboard that plugs into hdd case.I can not use my remote keyboard.Reason for having to that is the pc boots up so fast I can't enter bios.The remote keyboard does not have enough time to come on so it can read my F-1 command.It passes keyboard connect before reading f-1.So I had to use one with a wire that was constantly plugged in.And is not a cheap keyboard.Is a logitech mx 5000 (Remote Keyboard).Anyway it downloads my programs before I hardly have time to blink.Awsome hdd.
Thanks again for help.

R.R. 2455