Author Topic: Hard drive constantly busy  (Read 2422 times)

Offline jimfido62

• FORUM VIP
  • Forum VIP.
Hard drive constantly busy
« on: August 04, 2010, 07:02:10 AM »
When I boot up my desktop the hard drive is continually busy.  The system is extremely slow because of this.  I suspected my 6 year old downloaded a virus on his Nick Jr. games web sight but Avast Free antivirus did not find anything.  I updated MalwareBytes and ran a full scan but it did not find anything.  I performed a system restore back to July 19 but this also did not fix the problem.  The OS is windows XP.  Before I reformat the drive and start fresh I thought I would check inwith the Pro's for help. 

Offline Carolina Mike

• Chief Forum Janitor
  • Forum VIP.
Re: Hard drive constantly busy
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 07:33:11 AM »
How many items do you have loading at startup and are they running in the background?

In msconfig look at the startup and services  area and I would turn off all that you do not need but be very careful as some of the services are needed to run the computer
"Women do not sunbathe... They are doing a solar enhancement"

I will not answer a PM if I think the question should have been asked on the forum.

Offline jimfido62

• FORUM VIP
  • Forum VIP.
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 07:51:08 AM »
I checked msconfig and most things are turned off.  I think my son downloaded something that might be needed for a game and this is running in the backround.  I just need to find it.  I am removing all programs I do not need and will try to clean up the hard drive.  I tried running another virus scan and Avast froze up during the scan.  I will remove Avast free and reinstall and see if this is the program that is causing this problem. 

Offline jimfido62

• FORUM VIP
  • Forum VIP.
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 06:05:56 PM »
I deleted a few programs and turned off 1 item in msconfig.  I ran a full virus scan and before I left for work and when I returned home everything was fine.  I rebooted and the computer is working fine now.  I don't know what fixed it but I am glad it's working now.  Thanks.

Offline jimfido62

• FORUM VIP
  • Forum VIP.
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2010, 07:34:51 AM »
My computer started acting up again.  The hard drive was busy constantly.  I performed a Windows repair and downloaded all the new updates and now it is working great.