Author Topic: Can I pull out pins on old DVi adaptor  (Read 1273 times)

Offline earthlady

• FORUM VIP
  • Forum VIP.
Can I pull out pins on old DVi adaptor
« on: November 24, 2010, 01:29:55 PM »
Can I pull out pins on old DVi adapter Yo VGA or RGB or what ever it is called ?
 This may be off topic but maybe Gitano can help me here. My old laptop wont boot past windows. So went out and bought a Mini Mac

i sure hate paying for that dang short VGA monitor  adapter $30. I have  an old VGA adapter that came with an old comp from 2003  for a video card. It has four extra pins around that horizontal tab. Can i break those off ?? So I can use the  supplied cord????
 Cause unfortunately my nice Sony 26 inch Bravia has only, for PC in ,an old VGA  RGB book calls it, monitor male  receptacle. The HDMi on the back will no recognize the Mac mini. Plus the owners manual  says it is only for other equipment.  any one know?
thanks all
Jean
dust bunnies are my  ONLY pets and now new pet to chase them LOL

Offline gitano1

• Administrator
  • Forum VIP.
Re: Can I pull out pins on old DVi adaptor
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2010, 04:48:41 PM »
Unfortunately removing pins won't do what you want to do. Each pin is attached to a specific wire which corresponds to specific locations in the computer input. Trying to use adapters which are not specifically designed for the particular computer you are trying to connect to will not work. It could possible damage either the computer or the monitor, although that is a slim possibility. I would stick to either factory parts or after market parts designed to do the same function.
Gitano
"Race has now replaced rule of law officially. In one speech our president has reversed 60 years of healing the racial divide and destroyed the dream of Dr. King. The result will be an exact reversal of the conditions existing before The Civil Rights Act. And the hardest hit will be the children in whose name the left always claims to act. Well done Obama". - Pendark