Author Topic: 32 bit or 64 bit  (Read 1833 times)

shaggybirdman

32 bit or 64 bit
« on: December 08, 2010, 01:54:05 PM »
ok guys i need to know how to tell if my XP is 32, or 64 bit. i'm running XP Pro. thanks in advance.

Offline gitano1

• Administrator
  • Forum VIP.
Re: 32 bit or 64 bit
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2010, 02:55:59 PM »
You would know if you were running 64 bit. 32 is the default. You need to make a conscious decision to get 64 Bit. Also, I believe that if you go to the Control Panel and select System, then the General Tab it should say: MIcrosoft Windows XP Professional Version 2XXX Service Pack X, the Xs being what number applies. If it is 64 Bit it will say so at that location.
Gitano
"Race has now replaced rule of law officially. In one speech our president has reversed 60 years of healing the racial divide and destroyed the dream of Dr. King. The result will be an exact reversal of the conditions existing before The Civil Rights Act. And the hardest hit will be the children in whose name the left always claims to act. Well done Obama". - Pendark

shaggybirdman

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2010, 03:13:32 PM »
You would know if you were running 64 bit. 32 is the default. You need to make a conscious decision to get 64 Bit. Also, I believe that if you go to the Control Panel and select System, then the General Tab it should say: MIcrosoft Windows XP Professional Version 2XXX Service Pack X, the Xs being what number applies. If it is 64 Bit it will say so at that location.

you have never steered me wrong in the past, but i do have 1 question though. why do i need the 64 bit version. i do have the 32 bit version.

Offline gitano1

• Administrator
  • Forum VIP.
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2010, 05:19:47 PM »
The truth is, you don't. I thought about doing the 64 bit version when I got 7, but then I would have to get all new software compatible with it. It is supposed to be faster, but I am not in that big a hurry. My 3.16 GHz Core Duo pumps out amazing speed. I am not in need of anything faster for the things I do. My guess is you aren't either. ^^^
Gitano
"Race has now replaced rule of law officially. In one speech our president has reversed 60 years of healing the racial divide and destroyed the dream of Dr. King. The result will be an exact reversal of the conditions existing before The Civil Rights Act. And the hardest hit will be the children in whose name the left always claims to act. Well done Obama". - Pendark

Offline Carolina Mike

• Chief Forum Janitor
  • Forum VIP.
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2010, 05:45:20 PM »
shaggybirdman ,
The only advantage of 64 over 32 is the amount of ram the OS uses.  32 stops at 4gb whereas 64 stops at 8gb
"Women do not sunbathe... They are doing a solar enhancement"

I will not answer a PM if I think the question should have been asked on the forum.

shaggybirdman

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2010, 06:01:37 PM »
got ya. plus it saves me some cash.

trying to root my cell phone.